Woodstock, Virginia
2.8
Layout of Store

Over an over again I try to take advantage of the MVP pricing incentives throughout the store. Many are quite attractive and assists our food budget to get these savings. However, when the cashier runs the items through the scanner many of the promised discounts do not show up. This has been a constant problem and one that I now watch closely.

The checkout process at the registers is not in the shoppers best interest. The shopper is required to place each item from their cart onto the conveyer belt for the cashier to ring up. There is no possible way for the consumer to see the register print-out to determine what price is being rung up. It is only after the final item is scanned and the long receipt is available can one determine if a discount was given.

This morning I went to my local Food Lion and purchased some baby food and milk for our Grandsons. Several of the baby food items were marked at a discount price. The Gerber Lil Entriees for todlers were shown to be 2 for $4.00 on MVP special instead of the regular price of $2.29 each. I purchased four. At the checkstand the price rang up at the regular price and not the MVP discount of 2 for $4.00. I told the cashier of the mistake and mentioned how many times this had occured. She said I would have to take up with the Manager who was on break. I insisted that someone should go to the baby food aisle and see for themselves that a mistake was made. Sure enough they saw what I was pointing out to them and immediately blamed the computer at Corporate for the problem. After some time the Manager appeared and she looked for herself and came back and granted the refund all while expressing a disgusted attitude and one of non-support.

I told her that this sort of thing has happened over and over again at this store. I reminded her that I had just spent $469.00 less than two weeks ago focusing on the MVP specials and the Buy-1 get-1 Free offers. When presented my final receipt for that trip there was only a $27.00 deduction listed on the bottom of the receipt. I knew I should have received more but how was I supposed to rummage through two baskets of bags to point out all of the expected discounts. I left convinced that I had been "ripped" off. Then today happens....I knew it!!

My MVP Card # is 61693-42644 and has been in force for over ten years. A summary of our shopping history at Food Lion will show we spend hundreds of dollars each week at the local store. I wonder just how much MVP savings has been withheld from us. Maybe MVP should stand for "Maybe Verify Price".

Thinking this through: What a genius idea...Just put MVP on everything having the highest margin of return and forget to provide the discount to the consumer. This certainly is a stealth way to enhance profits at the expense of your so-called MVP shoppers. Someone should look into this before a class action suit is begun.

Product or Service Mentioned: Milk.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments